Monday 16 February 2015

Nutrition - Make your own energy snack bars!

Okay so this is definitely an area in which I feel I have some experience!

Running, biking and swimming are all pretty new to me but eating is not.... infact looking at nutrition has been a part of my daily routine since September 2012. Why that specific date? Well it happens to be about a month after my daughter was born and the exact time that I started this route to become a triathlete and turn my life around, I was a whopping 115kgs and for a man just over 5ft 9inches that is one hell of a size to be!

I am now around the 90kg mark which is still not the ideal but its definitely on the right track. One thing this 25kg weight loss has taught me, is that you need to find interesting and tasty ways to fill the gaps from your previous life of eating the wrong, but scummy things and find some alternatives that will keep you from shovelling in sugary, carb loaded foods and also fuel you for your training and competing.

When I started to lose weight I followed the slimming world diet with a few minor alterations to suit me and my weight loss. This was great as the plan allows for lots of carbohydrates and lots of fruit, the result is that whilst training for triathlon and whilst you still have a lot of weight to lose, you feel full and full of energy thanks to the carbs and the sugar. however this began to run its course and the amount of weight I lost became less and less, to the point where I started to gain weight due to very things that made me lose weight interestingly, carbs and sugar! once my body had balanced out and started to become used to this way of eating it became efficient in using these foods to store energy as fat! (its a cave man thing) So from that point I had to find alternatives to keep me on the straight and narrow and to encourage more weight loss. Increases in protein directly after training and the well timed carbohydrate source are always good to make sure your body burns the fat and not the muscle!

So if your a bit of a chocoholic like me there is a way of getting a little of what you like without breaking those calorie counters!



Recipe for chocolate cheesecake brownie bars - serves 10 portions approx 210 kcal per portion

Brownie part
10 Tbsp Coa coa powder - needs to be gluten free
300 grams of pureed apple (about 4 apples should do this)
2 Tbsp - honey
100 grams of dark chocolate (85% if possible)
125 grams of crushed almonds (or almond flour)
120 grams of whey protein (chocolate flavour is best)
2 eggs
2 Tbsp of peanut butter (no added sugar free form version)
4 Tbsp of coconut oil

mix the Coa Coa and the almonds and the whey protein together in one bowl, melt the dark chocolate with the coconut oil and add to the apple puree and the eggs in a separate bowl, add the wet mixture to the dry mixture carefully until completely mixed though out. Finally add the honey and the peanut butter and pour mixture into a pre lined and greased brownie tin and place to one side.

Cheesecake part
100 grams of Quark
125 grams fat free cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp honey
2 egg whites



Mix all ingredients with a food mixer or hand blender and dollop on to the top of the brownie mixture, spead as thin as possible and swirl with end of a spoon

Cook in a pre warmed oven at 180 degrees Centigrade for around 20 mins, mixture should be springy to touch.

So these can be used for breakfast alternatives, post exercise treats and energy replenishers! Enjoy!




    

No comments:

Post a Comment